Re: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dominic J. Eidson
Subject Re: Ideal hardware configuration for pgsql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2 May 2001, GH wrote:

> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:35:13PM +0100, some SMTP stream spewed forth:
> > Our db server running 7.1 got *torched* today, system ran between 30% an
> > 80% CPU all day!  Right now the server is running on a Penguin Computing
> > 800mhz PIII w/ 128 ram and IDE hardware.
> >
> > Tomorrow I'd like to place an order for something more robust... looking
> > into dual PIII, gig of ram and SCSI Raid.  Planning on running Red Hat 7.1
> > on this machine.
>
> I think that anyone whose opinion matters would recommend running
> something *other* than RedHat. FreeBSD is an excellent operating system
> and is well suited to a PostgreSQL environment.

You know - there's other Linux distributions than Red Hat - you don't
haveto use FreeBSD... may I cordially suggest SuSE - we use 7.0 and 7.1 on
all our servers, with no stabillity issues whatsoever.

--
Dominic J. Eidson
                                        "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli