Re: Potential RC1-stoppers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: Potential RC1-stoppers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Joel Burton <jburton@scw.org> writes:
> > I rebooted my machine, and it didn't happen again that night. Yesterday,
> > my staff reinstalled Pg straight from the CVS but without (!) tarring up
> > the old Pg install, so I'm afraid I don't have any logs. I run Pg w/debug
> > switches on my development machine; this machine did not have such.
>
> Drat.
>
> > I don't have a log, but do have the query that was issued, multiple times,
> > overlapping:
> > SELECT * FROM zope_facinst LIMIT 1000;
>
> It's really unlikely (I hope) that the clients running SELECTs had
> anything to do with it.  You had mentioned that you were busy making
> manual schema revisions while this went on; that process seems more
> likely to be the guilty party.  But if you don't have the logs anymore,
> I suppose there's not much chance of reconstructing what you did :-(

The dropping and re-making were the zope_facinst view listed in my email.
I was tinkering with various parameters, trying to see if distinct on
(list) was faster than distinct list, etc.

> I spent much of this afternoon groveling through the deletion-related
> code, looking for some code path that could lead to a deletion operation
> deleting the wrong file.  I didn't find anything that looked plausible
> enough to be worth pursuing.  So I'm stumped for the moment.  We'll have
> to hope that if it happens again, we can gather more data.

It could be my machine; it's not a heavily used machine, so I can't vouch
for its stability.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

As always, thanks.
--