Re: RE: xlog checkpoint depends on sync() ... seems unsafe - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dominic J. Eidson
Subject Re: RE: xlog checkpoint depends on sync() ... seems unsafe
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:

> to re-write smgr. I don't know how useful is second sync() call, but
> on Solaris (and I believe on many other *NIXes) rc0 calls it
> three times, -:) Why?

The idea is, that by the time the last sync has run, the first sync will
be done flushing the buffers to disk. - this is what we were told by the
IBM engineers when I worked tier-2/3 AIX support at IBM.

--
Dominic J. Eidson                                       "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/