RE: Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject RE: Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:

> > Might it be, that pg_control is older than it should be ?
> > I mean, that the write to pg_control did not make it to disk,
> > but the checkpoint already completed (removed the logs) ?
>
> Well, WAL does *pg_fsync()* of pg_control before removing old
> logs, so it's only possible if Ryan run PG with -F (fsync = off).
> Ryan?
Guilty as charged I am afraind... :( Here, I though with WAL and
all (bad pun :), I would not need fsync anymore and decided to be
reckless. Guess I ought to reconsider that decision.... Though wasn't WAL
supposed to remove the need for fsync, or was it just to improve recovery
ablity? Anyway, if that is root of the problem, very bad timing on a
system crash, then I will consider this problem solved. Thanks for
everyone's help.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |