Re: Bug? 'psql -l' in pg_ctl? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Bug? 'psql -l' in pg_ctl?
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> I'd lean towards a pg_ping (Peter E., any comment here?)

I could see this in the broad context of the nebulous, often asked for
"admin tools", like querying the postmaster about what the backends are
doing, etc.

> Really we'd need to change the postmaster too, because what we need to
> do is send a query "are you ready to accept connections?" that the
> postmaster will answer without an authentication exchange.

ISTM that the rejection of a client with authentication failure is a
pretty good indicator that you're accepting connections.  You only need to
communicate it better.

> Or we could invent a status file in $PGDATA that's separate from the
> pid interlock file, and have pg_ctl look for that.

I was thinking about increasing the link count on the pid file -- at least
until yesterday...