Re: copy table from one database to another - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McKown
Subject Re: copy table from one database to another
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, John McKown wrote:
>
> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?  I move tables around all the
> time and don't need to edit.  Instead of the \i, try this:
>
> pg_dump -t table olddb > old.info
>
> psql newdb < old.info

I'm running PostgreSQL 7.0.2. The reason that I had to edit the pg_dump
output was because I needed to rename the table. That's because I did not
think ahead and I had an empty table in the newdb with the same name as
the one in the olddb. I did not want to replace the table defination. But
now that you mention it, I guess that I could have done an ALTER TABLE
... RENAME TO ... in olddb before doing the pg_dump.

Thanks for the thoughts!
John