Re: Small SSL-related patch... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Small SSL-related patch...
Date
List pgsql-patches
Dominic J. Eidson writes:

> Apache with apache-ssl/mod_ssl. (That being where I first encountered
> compiling against a package's source install.)

The point is that you are free to do anything you want, and the options
are there. But I'm not so interested in instituting mechanisms that
undermine another package's defined interface, which in case of OpenSSL
is:

  $ ./config
  $ make
  $ make test
  $ make install

If mod_ssl feels that they don't need to do that then that's their problem
(and they probably know what they're doing because the packages
essentially have the same maintainers and are effectively written
specifically for each other).

We on the other hand are not in a position to keep track of changing
installation layouts and other oddities that might be going on with
non-installed files, such as missing executable bits or shared-library
paths. In fact, both of these are issues which will potentially prevent
you from using OpenSSL without installing it anyway.