Re: responses to licensing discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: responses to licensing discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
The Hermit Hacker writes:

> Personally, I'd like the whole thing weeded down to ... get rid of the
> 'juristiction of ...' (which nobody outside of the US will agree to, from
> what I've been seeing on the list) ... and get rid of "Any person who
> contributes ..." paragraph, which several ppl have voiced a concern about,
> and we might have something that non-US developers can agree to ...
>
> can someone also explain to me what ", NEED, OR QUALITY, AND ANY IMPLIED
> WARRANTY FROM COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. IN ADDITION, THERE IS
> NO IMPLIED WARRANTY AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH ENJOYMENT OR AGAINST
> INFRINGEMENT." is supposed to mean?  what the hell is "INTERFERENCE WITH
> ENJOYMENT OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT"?

It means if you don't enjoy it, you can't sue. :-)

I don't see any point for not using the same BOLD (or the same text, for
that matter) that the UCB used, as has been suggested a hundred times
before. We'd make the extra point of "Licenses are so stupid, they make us
write this twice."