Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/doc/TODO.detail (alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null pg_shadow primary) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/doc/TODO.detail (alpha default distinct flock fsync function limit null pg_shadow primary)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> but if one or both postmasters is started without -i then there's got
> to be some interlock on the Unix socket file.
>
> I don't much like depending on flock for that, since it isn't available
> everywhere.  The only portable answer is to build a pid-containing
> interlock file for each socket file, as discussed in the TODO item.

But the flock code isn't used because the configure test for it is broken,
and has been broken ever since it was introduced AFAICT. It seems that we
have been relying on the mere existence of the socket file.