Re: question about index cost estimates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: question about index cost estimates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Hoffmann writes:

> just for your reference, the paper is from VLDB and it called
> "Estimating the Selectivity of Spatial Queries Using the 'Correlation'
> fractal Dimension".  here's the link:
> http://www.vldb.org/conf/1995/P299.PDF.  i've only read the abstract,
> but it sounds pretty promising.

That paper was very interesting. I think it might in fact contain the
answer for writing smart selectivity estimators for geometrical data, now
someone only needs to be brave enough to try to code it. Btw., it also
contains a number interesting references regarding R-trees and selectivity
estimation in general.

Whodda thunk there's genuine information to be found on the Web ... :)