Re: [SQL] numeric question.. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [SQL] numeric question..
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 2000-01-14, Tom Lane mentioned:

> "Mitch Vincent" <mitch@venux.net> writes:
> > I tried doing them in decimal(9,2) too and well, it added them as numeric
> > anyway -- I guess that's a dead end for a while?
>
> DECIMAL is just an alias for NUMERIC, as far as I know...

NUMERIC specifies the data type exact numeric, with the decimal precision
and scale specified by the <precision> and <scale>.
DECIMAL specifies the data type exact numeric, with the decimal scale
specified by the <scale> and the implementation-defined decimal precision
equal to or greater than the value of the specified <precision>.

Up to this day I'm wondering what exactly this means ...