Re: [HACKERS] Function-manager redesign: second draft (long) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Function-manager redesign: second draft (long)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Oct 30, Jan Wieck mentioned:

>     Right.   A   major   release  is  what  it  is.  And  porting
>     applications to a new major release too, it is a  conversion,
>     not an upgrade. Therefore a major release should drop as much
>     backward compatibility code for minor releases as possible.

Certainly true. But that would also mean that we'd have to keep
maintaining the 6.* series as well. At least bug-fixing and releasing one
or two more 6.5.x versions. Up until now the usual answer to a bug was
"upgrade to latest version". But if you break compatibility you can't do
that any more. (Compare to Linux 2.0 vs 2.2) I'm just wondering what the
plans are in that regard.