Re: [HACKERS] postmaster dead on startup from unportable SSL patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [HACKERS] postmaster dead on startup from unportable SSL patch
Date
Re: [HACKERS] postmaster dead on startup from unportable SSL patch  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sep 30, Thomas Lockhart mentioned:

> > Comments?  Ideas?  Is it time to give up on getopt and go to multiletter
> > switch names?  (Of course that would break a lot of people's startup
> > scripts... but we may someday be forced into it... maybe it's better
> > to bite the bullet now.)
>
> Break it ;)
>
> The single-character switches are definitely non-intuitive. Implement

It's a backend people! My man page shows 12 defined switches, so there are
at least 44 character switches left. A little imagination please.

I am implementing GNU style long options in psql but obviously that sort
of thing won't help anybody that doesn't have a GNU'ish system, in
particular the people affected by the -is thing in the first place.

Or do you *really* want to get into the business of writing your own
getopt replacement??? Then you are liable to end up with something even
less intuitive.

Meanwhile, how about something like -i for normal and -i SSL for what's
desired. (That is, change the "i" to "i:"). Then, if someone comes up with
something related (accept only ssh, ipv6, latest pgsql protocol, etc.
connections), you save a switch.

Peter

--
Peter Eisentraut - peter_e@gmx.net