self-join and DISTINCT quandry. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stuart Rison
Subject self-join and DISTINCT quandry.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Dear all,

Consider the following table:

test=> select * from hum;
number|letter|family
------+------+------    1|a     |one    2|b     |one    3|c     |one    4|d     |one    5|e     |one    6|f     |one
7|a    |two    8|b     |two    9|c     |two   10|g     |two   11|h     |two   12|i     |two

(12 rows)

If I want to know what letters appear in more than one family and what
the number for number for such letters is, I could do:

test=> select t1.letter, t1.number, t2.number from hum t1, hum t2 where
t1.letter=t2.letter and t1.family<>t2.family;
letter|number|number
------+------+------
a     |     1|     7
b     |     2|     8
c     |     3|     9
a     |     7|     1
b     |     8|     2
c     |     9|     3
(6 rows)

test=>

But what is I didn't want the information to appear twice.  I could try
adding DISTINCT but that would not work because row a,1,7 is of course
DISTINCT from a,7,1 although I am looking for such duplication to be
eliminated...

I'd like to do this without using DISTINCT ON if at all possible (because
I disapprove on DISTINCT ON on moral grounds ;) ).

regards,

S.

Stuart C. G. Rison
6th floor, Darwin Building, University College London (UCL)
Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Tel. 0207 504 2303, Fax. 0207 380 7033
e-mail: rison@biochem.ucl.ac.uk