RE: [SQL] comparing 2 tables. . . - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Stuart Rison
Subject RE: [SQL] comparing 2 tables. . .
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, [iso-8859-2] Daniel P�der wrote:

> try this, it should select what in tab1 is not in tab2 ( compared by pkeys )
>
> select pkey.tab1 where pkey.tab1 not in ( pkey.tab2 );

erm... unless the 'pkey' is an operator of some kind in PG 6.5.x that I'm
completely unaware of, I don't think that will work.

Try:

SELECT tab1.pkey FROM <your_table> tab1 WHERE tab1.pkey NOT IN (SELECT
tab2.pkey FROM <your_other_table> tab2.pkey);

or else (faster):

SELECT tab1.pkey FROM <your_table> tab1 WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM
<your_other_table> tab2 WHERE tab1.pkey=tab2.pkey);

Finally, if you have version 6.5.x you could use MINUS:

SELECT tab1.pkey FROM <your_table> tab1
MINUS
SELECT tab2.pkey FROM <your_other_table> tab2;

Can't vouch for the last one as I only have PG 6.4.2.

HTH,

S.

Stuart C. G. Rison
6th floor, Darwin Building, University College London (UCL)
Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
Tel. 0207 504 2303, Fax. 0207 380 7033
e-mail: rison@biochem.ucl.ac.uk