Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Re: Would a PostgreSQL database on a DVD be usable?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Allan Engelhardt wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > This won't work.  You need to be able to write to the medium for a number
> > of reasons.
>
> Is the reason that PostgreSQL must have log files etc. in the same
> directory as the data files (it does not appear to support, for
> example, the Oracle LOGFILE syntax on CREATE DATABASE)?

Grabbing at some low hanging fruit could the data, index, etc. files
(ie. the read only files) be links to the DVD (or CDROM) files?

I have a slightly different application in mind so keeping the logs on
RW media is OK.  In fact, as I type this, I seem to remember a
discussion on placing log files on other devices.  Time to dive into the
archives.

Cheers,
Rod
--
                 Remove the word 'try' from your vocabulary ...
                     Don't try.  Do it or don't do it ...

                                                            Don Aslett