Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Johnson
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date
List pgsql-general
Um - let me get this straight... you want to go buy Oracle instead of
kicking in a few bucks to pay someone to add it to PostgreSQL.

OK then a quick call to Oracle would tell you that it's $295 per user, 5
user minimum.  If you want to use it on the web for public use that's 20
minimum or about $6,000.  Plus they suggest getting their application
server for another $195 / user - pushing your web site up by another
$4,000.

Go ahead.

I know if PostgreSQL did almost everything I needed I would rather:

A) Write it myself
B) Ask about it on the list and see if other people know how to do it
C) Expense out $500 or $1000 to contribute to PostgreSQL and then let the
   company write it off.

in that order ;-)

Chris