Re: [GENERAL] indices don't make much difference - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Howie
Subject Re: [GENERAL] indices don't make much difference
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, admin wrote:

> [SNIP]
> I have then run benchmarks without index, with btree and with hash, but
> none seem to be faster than the other. My benchmark program is written in
> c and is attached to this email. Here are the results I obtained using
> time:
>
> without index:
> 17.25 real  1.42 user  0.26 sys
> with btree:
> 17.28 real  1.38 user  0.30 sys
> with hash:
> 17.22 real  1.37 user  0.32 sys
>
> If there is any way to make a query quicker when joining a product table
> and a manufacturer table, please let me know. I've tried everything and
> the results are quite fast enough.

did you VACUUM ANALYZE the table after creating the index ?

---
Howie <caffeine@toodarkpark.org>   URL: http://www.toodarkpark.org
"Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you.
 Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it."