Re: [HACKERS] view vs. inheritance hierarchy (was: Bug(?) in pg_get_ruledef()) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak - Zakkr
Subject Re: [HACKERS] view vs. inheritance hierarchy (was: Bug(?) in pg_get_ruledef())
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> >  Is it a bug or a limitation? (The pg_dump is unworkable for a views tables
> > runnig over the inheritance hierarchy?)
>
>     Surely a bug!
>
>     Unfortunately  I'm  too busy at the moment to tackle it down.
>     The location where the inheritance is ignored is
>
>         src/backend/utils/adt/ruleutils.c
>
>     or a similar name - you'll find that file - it's  the  source
>     where  that  damned  pg_get_ruledef()  is defined. If you can
>     loacate and fix the problem therein depends on  how  familiar
>     you are with interpreting querytrees. At some place the table
>     name is printed, but I don't know if it is possible  to  tell
>     from  the data at hand if it is an inheritance. Maybe another
>     catalog lookup is required there.

Well, I try see to the source and fix it.

>     Oh man, this little 'piece of magic' (as someone else  called
But, more good details make very good PosgreSQL :-))

>     it)  was  only intended to demonstrate that it is POSSIBLE AT
>     ALL to translate a querytree  back  into  it's  original  SQL
>     statement.   Why the hell did I assist in making use of it in
>     pg_dump?

If exist handle, why not open the door? Pg_dump is backup util which allow
dump _all_ definition and data, we need it right if we allow it.

(I use pg_dump only for data backup.)

Thank Jan!                        Karel Z.