Re: Stored procs: PL/Tcl only? Settable privs for them? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: Stored procs: PL/Tcl only? Settable privs for them?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Randall Parker wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to do in Postgres what I already pretty well understand in
> DB2: Create a stored procedure that accepts a couple of arguments, does a look-up
> in a table using those args in a where clause, and then return a boolean result of
> whether a matching row was found. Or potentially return a row.
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Is PL/Tcl the only way to do stored procedures?

 PL/SQL, C, Perl, PL/Tcl

> 2) Is CREATE FUNCTION pretty much a logical equivalent to CREATE
> PROCEDURE in other RDBMSs?

I not sure how it is in other DBs, but a little differention is here; in
current state is not available create routines that retuns tuple.

> 3) Am I right in guessing that it would be a very big job to support Java under
> CREATE LANGUAGE?

What is a "big job"? :-) You must write some handler for backend SPI (server
programming interface) and some other things for your language. See beckend
source.

> 4) How about granting rights to stored procedures?

 Now not, but in new ACL system (in 7.2?) it will probably possible.

                Karel