Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> I heard that the debian rev system is MUCH better, but never got accepted
> because of the market weight of RH. Is this so?

Yes and no.  RH and Deb each have their strong points.  I use RH because
they make my life a lot easier (dealing with dselect is an absolute pain,
plus RH's hardware detection is great).

The real problem is - what _should_ they do when you upgrade.  Well,
theoretically, they should do the dump/reload for you.  What if you don't
have enough hard drive space?  What if it fails somewhere?  An automated
install really can't deal with these questions adequately using any
packaging system.