Re: Re: [Pkg-postgresql-public] Postgres major version support policy on Debian - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Re: [Pkg-postgresql-public] Postgres major version support policy on Debian
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch> wrote:
>
>> Once Postgres supports in-place upgrades between major versions, this
>> issue is solved.
>
> It has in the past but apparently the work required in coding and
> testing was too much and it the upgrade in place stuff was abandoned.
> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and someone is working on it
> again.

There's a prototype being actively worked on and if we're lucky it will
debut in 8.4 this March.  See
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/48BB10A2.60503@sun.com for the
last code submission there and
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/In-place_upgrade for an outline of the