Re: Intel's X25-M SSD - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Intel's X25-M SSD
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Merlin Moncure wrote:

> What's interesting about the X25 is that they managed to pull the
> numbers they got out of a MLC flash product.  They managed this with a
> DRAM buffer and the custom controller.

I finally found a good analysis of what's wrong with most of the cheap MLC
drives:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=7

240ms random write latency...wow, no wonder I keep hearing so many reports
of cheap SSD just performing miserably.  JMicron is one of those companies
I really avoid, never seen a design from them that wasn't cheap junk.
Shame their awful part is in so many of the MLC flash products.