Re: Install Postgres on a SAN volume? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Install Postgres on a SAN volume?
Date
Re: Install Postgres on a SAN volume?
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, William Garrison wrote:

> 2) We could install PostgreSQL onto the C: drive and then configure the data
> folder to be on the SAN volume (Z:)

Do that.  You really don't want to get into the situation where you can't
run anything related to the PostgreSQL service just because the SAN isn't
available.  You may have internal SAN fans that will swear that never
happens, but it does.  Also, it allows installing a later PostgreSQL
version upgrade on another system and testing against the SAN data files
in a way that said system could become the new server.  There's all kinds
of systems management reasons you should separate the database application
from the database files.

> So I am assured it is fast.

Compared to what?  The same amount spent on direct storage would be widly
faster.

The thing to remember about SANs is that they are complicated, and there
are many ways you can misconfigure them so that their database performance
sucks.  Make sure you actually benchmark the SAN and compare it to direct
connected disks to see if it's acting sanely; don't just believe what
people tell you.

I personally can't understand why anybody would spend SAN $ and then
hobble the whole thing by running PostgreSQL on Windows.  The Win32 port
is functional, but it's really not fast.

> It is really nice because it supports instant snapshots so we can, in
> theory, snapshot a volume and re-mount it elsewhere.

You'll still need to setup basic PITR recovery to know you got a useful
snapshot.  See
http://lethargy.org/~jesus/archives/92-PostgreSQL-warm-standby-on-ZFS-crack.html
for a nice intro to that that uses ZFS as the snapshot implementation.