Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql  (Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain@dalibo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> You're ignoring the fact that D'Arcy's patch doesn't output valid ReST.
> It outputs something that might pass for ReST, but only so long as there
> are no special characters in the data.

I agree that it's a bad idea to say explicitly that it's "ReST mode"
output, because it's not.  But it works just fine for that purpose on
almost every table I would generate on a typical day.  My databases are
mainly filled with plain alphanumeric text and numbers.  If I can dump 99%
of them into ReST using this new border but 1% require me to manually
tweak by escaping some characters, that's still very useful to me.  I'd
hate to see a focus on the corner cases drive this feature away.