Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: A guide/tutorial to performance monitoring and tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Nikhil G. Daddikar wrote:

> I have been searching on the net on how to tune and monitor performance of my
> postgresql server but not met with success. A lot of information is vague and
> most often then not the answer is "it depends".

That's because it does depend.  I collect up the best of resources out
there and keep track of them at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Performance_Optimization so if you didn't
find that yet there's probably some good ones you missed.

Right now I'm working with a few other people to put together a more
straightforward single intro guide that should address some of the
vagueness you point out here, but that's still a few weeks away from being
ready.

Monitoring performance isn't really covered in any of this though.  Right
now the best simple solution out there is probably Nagios with the
PostgreSQL plug-in.