Re: How to Sponsor a Feature - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: How to Sponsor a Feature
Date
Re: How to Sponsor a Feature  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> If we want to help people to sponsor features, then I think we need to
> deal with subjects like finding someone to undertake the development,
> the sponsor's relationship with the developer, methods and times of
> payment, etc.

The bit on the wiki is helpful for developers trying to get a new feature
implemented but I think that's where its scope ends.

There seem to be occasional person wandering by here that it really
doesn't help though.  Periodically you'll see "I want feature $X in
PostgreSQL.  I'm willing to help fund it.  What do I do?".  In most of
those that have wandered by recently, $X is a known feature any number of
other people want.  Good sample cases here are recent requests to help
fund or implement materialized views, supporting queries on read-only
slaves, and SQL window support.

I don't think these people need guidance on how to manage the project,
they need some sort of way to feel comfortable saying "will pledge $Y for
feature $X" in a way that makes sense on both sides.