Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> FWIW smb.conf uses ; for one purpose and # for the other.

They're actually combining the way UNIX files use # with how Windows INI
files use ; in a config file context, which I personally find a little
weird.

I was already considering keeping user comments as # while making all
system-inserted ones #! ; many people are already used to #! having a
special system-related meaning from its use in UNIX shell scripting which
makes it easier to remember.

I think the next step to this whole plan is to generate a next-gen
postgresql.conf mock-up showing what each of the outputs from the
pg_generate_conf tool might look like to get feedback on that; it will
make what is planned here a bit easier to understand as well.