Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
Re: postgre vs MySQL  (Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

> A silly question in this context:  If we know of a company that does use
> PostgreSQL but doesn't list it anywhere ... can we take the liberty to
> publicise this somewhere anyway?

Bad idea.  There are companies who consider being listed as a user of a
product a sort of recommendation of that technology, and accordingly they
will get really annoyed if you do that when they didn't give you
permission.  This has actually happened, where someone has asked to be
removed from the list of those using PostgreSQL.

While it's fun to run "strings" on random software to see who is using
PostgreSQL inside, it's best not to publish the results unless you like to
collect cease & desist letters.