Re: standby questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: standby questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, David Wall wrote:

> Does pg_standby take care of this by checking file sizes or the like?  In my
> testing with scp, we never experienced any problems, but I wonder if we were
> somehow "just lucky."

pg_standby only processes files of exactly the length they're supposed to
be.  On Windows it even sleeps a bit after that to give time for things to
settle.

The main risky situation you could end up in is if you were using a copy
program that created the whole file at its full size first then wrote the
data to it.  I don't think there are many programs that operate like that
around and certainly scp doesn't do that.