Re: database tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: database tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, kelvan wrote:

> my original question is what are the overheads for postgres but obviously no
> one knows or no one knows where a webpage containing this information is -_-

In addition to the documentation links people have already suggested, I'd
also suggest
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/archives/282-table-size,-database-size.html
which gives some helpful suggestions on measuring the actual size of data
you've got in the database already.  It's possible to make a mistake when
trying to compute overhead yourself; loading a subset of the data and
measuring the size is much less prone to error.

> if we were not using a Mac we would have none of the problems we have
> with connection issues such as php seems to want to take up 20 db
> connections at a time

I can't imagine why the connection pooling links I suggested before
wouldn't work perfectly fine on a Mac.  You're correct to first nail down
why PHP is connecting more than you expect, but eventually I suspect
you'll need to wander toward pooling.

> neither I nor the web app developer are Mac savvy hell as far as we have
> seen no Mac tec is Mac savvy either

:)

> we cannot get parts of postgres to run on a Mac either such as pgagent
> which is necessary for us but we cannot seem to find a daemon that works
> on a Mac

You might want to give some specifics and ask about this on the pgAdmin
mailing list:  http://www.pgadmin.org/support/list.php

OS X support is relatively recent for pgAdmin and I see some other recent
fixes for specific issues on that platform.