Re: Requesting for a pgadmin3-1.8.0 RPM for SL4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Requesting for a pgadmin3-1.8.0 RPM for SL4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007, Kandy Wong wrote:

> I couldn't build the pgadmin3-1.8.0 from source on SL4.
> Is there any pgadmin3 verion 1.8.0 RPMs available for SL4 or RHEL4?
> I've found a link for a beta3 version:
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.8.0-beta3/rhel-4/rpms/
> But the contents are no longer existed.

That beta had a bug that prevented some features from working, which is
why I don't think they bothered supporting that platform in the final
version:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2007-08/msg00079.php

(And, for future reference, that pgadmin-support list is the more useful
place to send questions about this software than pgsql-general).

There have been some unoffical efforts to get recent versions of pgadmin
working on RHEL4, like Sebastien Lardiere's packages for 1.6.2 at
http://sebastien.lardiere.free.fr/pgadmin3rhel4/RPMS/ There are two sets
of problems that make this difficult:  there's no official RHEL4 version
of the wxGTK packages, and pgadmin3-1.8.0 requires a more recent libxml2
(2.6.18) than RHEL4 provides (2.6.16).

What you might be able to do is install the updated wxGTK and libxml2 and
packages from Sebastien's site, then see if you can build 1.8.0 from
source.  While the pgadmin packagers might get to relasing RHEL4 RPMs at
some point, with this set of prerequisites it's a difficult version to
support and I think less of a priority as a result.