Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:

> As such it should mention version numbers of MySQL where ever possible
> to make it clear which version of MySQL and PostgreSQL is compared in
> every section.

The majority of the links into the MySQL documentation consistantly point
to the current production version (5.0). I wanted to see what general
content expansion might happen before going through the exercise of seeing
if anything has changed in the upcoming 5.1 so I only have to do that
once.  For example, the initial edits people have made make it obvious
that this document should address MySQL's foreign key and check constraint
limitations, which wasn't even on my radar initially.  Until the strict
SQL mode appeared in MySQL 5.0, there were so many gross problems that I
didn't even really consider the software a database, and therefore I
haven't been paying attention to its more subtle issues until relatively
recently.

> Its one of those things that will generate trouble if its not acurate
> and is not updated frequently enough.

You are absolutely correct that the specific version of each software
needs to be nailed down as a defense against updates making the content
out of date.  As for the accuracy part, my initial approach here was to
highlight general statements about the areas people should be aware of,
and then point directly into their documentation for the details.  The
idea is not to do any serious mud-slinging, and instead just point out
where the mud is.