Re: pg_xlog - files are guaranteed to be sequentialy named? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: pg_xlog - files are guaranteed to be sequentialy named?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Frank Wittig wrote:

> But I also agree that if there is a possibility that times differ (and
> there of course is) the question is not if it can happen but when.

Sure, but it doesn't matter one bit if the times between the primary and
secondary servers differ.  If the timestamps on the primary are being
preserved when copied over, the secondary can operate on them with no
reference whatsoever to its local time.  Future transaction timestamps
will be all screwed up when you switch to the secondary if its clock is
wrong, but it doesn't impact the operation of the PITR mechanism or its
cleanup.