Re: Automatic adjustment of bgwriter_lru_maxpages - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Automatic adjustment of bgwriter_lru_maxpages
Date
Re: Automatic adjustment of bgwriter_lru_maxpages  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, 14 May 2007, ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:

> BTW, your patch will cut LRU writes short, but will not encourage to
> do more works. So should set more aggressive values to bgwriter_lru_percent
> and bgwriter_lru_maxpages as defaults?

Setting a bigger default maximum is one possibility I was thinking about.
Since the whole background writer setup is kind of complicated, the other
thing I was working on is writing a guide on how to use the new
pg_stat_bgwriter information to figure out if you need to increase
bgwriter_[all|lru]_pages (and the other parameters too).  It makes it much
easier to write that if you can say "You can safely set
bgwriter_lru_maxpages high because it only writes what it needs to based
on your usage".