Re: Log levels for checkpoint/bgwriter monitoring - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Log levels for checkpoint/bgwriter monitoring
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Robert Treat wrote:

> My impression of this is that DBA's would typically want to run this for a
> short period of time to get thier systems tuned and then it pretty much
> becomes chatter.  Can you come up with an idea of what information DBA's need
> to know?

I am structing the log levels so that you can see all the events that are
likely sources for extreme latency by using log level DEBUG1.  That level
isn't too chatty and I've decided I can leave the server there forever if
need by.  I've actually come with a much better interface to the
background writer logging than the one I originally outlined, that I'll
have ready for feedback in a few more days.  Now it dumps a nice summary
report every time it completes a scan, rather than logging lower-level
info.