Re: Best way to scan on-disk bitmaps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Best way to scan on-disk bitmaps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 15 May 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
>>>
>>> We do have a TODO for this:
>>>
>>> * Use index to restrict rows returned by multi-key index when used with
>>> non-consecutive keys to reduce heap accesses
>
>> That TODO is something else.
>
> No, I think Bruce is right --- it's essentially the same thing.  It
> certainly would be a good idea to change btrees to work like that,
> if we are going to modify the planner to relax the restriction for
> other index types.
>
> I think it would be easy to change the planner and btree to handle
> this (where "easy" means "I remember where all the skeletons are
> buried").  But I don't know the gist code hardly at all.  Can anyone
> offer an informed opinion on whether gist can handle this now, and
> if not what it would take to handle it?

I think that handling this in GiST is depends solely on how users consistent
function designed to handle NULLs in keys. Other words, it should works as
soon as users consistent function "know" what to do with NULLs in internal keys.

Teodor will comment multi-key GiST tomorrow.

We used Paul Aoki paper "Generalizing ''Search'' in Generalized Search Trees",
(available from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/papers/csd-97-950.pdf )
for implementation of multi-key GiST index support. It's true, that first
key is used for splitting, but elements with duplicated first key could
be shuffled to get better clustering on second key.