Re: PostgreSQL History Document - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: PostgreSQL History Document
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi there,

looks like very complete history ! But it's not what I expected.
I think that in community site we should have history of project
developing from community view, in other words - history of PostgreSQL and
its community. This doesn't mean that history by Elein, Bruce shouldn't
be at site, it's just another thing. We need history page which consolidates
us via common history, sort of "unofficial history". For example,
I joined PG community at 95 and my first contribution
to PG was introducing locale support. It took a several weeks to
understand source tree and to get PG95 1.0 working under Sunos,
patch was incredibly small, but it was very important for many
no-ascii people. In spite of locale support was completely rewrited by
Tatsuo, I think my contribution was important and could be mentioned in
community history page, while it's not enough noticeable for "official history"
page. Also, who remember Jason Wright (vnet.net), maintainer of pg95 mailing
list ? I think, Marc and Bruce should . There are many contributors, which
should be mentioned. Some of them retired, some - just use PG in their
projects and still in mailing lists. We could ask them to write about
their contribution to PG and we'll get a vivid history of PG project.

We need some numbers to see how PG community is growing, Marc, probably,
know number of subscribers  per year. I could check my database and see
distribution of posts and authors. I have about 31000 unique authors in
mailware database.

Understanding community history helps us in understanding who we are.

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83