Re: Re: GiST for 7.1 !! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > we've almost totally rewrite gist.c because old code and algorithm
> > were not suitable for variable size keys. I think it might be
> > submitted into 7.1 beta source tree.
>
> Urgh.  Dropping in a total rewrite when we're already past beta3 doesn't
> strike me as good project management practice --- especially if the
> rewrite was done to add features (ie variable-size keys) not merely
> fix bugs.  I think it might be more prudent to hold this for 7.2.

OK. If our changes will not go to 7.1, is't possible to create
feature archive and announce it somewhere. It would be  nice if
people could test it. Anyway, I'll create web page with all
docs and patches. I'm afraid one more year to 7.2 is enough for
GiST to die :-)

>             regards, tom lane

Regards,    Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83