Re: [HACKERS] psql Week 1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oleg Bartunov
Subject Re: [HACKERS] psql Week 1
Date
Re: [HACKERS] psql Week 1  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter,

what  I miss on pgsql is ability to keep commands I issued in history file
as bash does for example. Say, ~/.pgsqlhistory
Of course, not to save passwords.
Regards,    Oleg

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:12:29 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
> To: pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.org
> Subject: [HACKERS] psql Week 1
>
> Here's the summary of my wheelings and dealings. No code yet, but trust
> me, you don't want it.
>
> * Changed one file into many
> * Changed few functions into countless
> * Added GNU long option support (added test to configure.in,
>   definition to config.h.in)
>   [ This feature is under protest by Tom L. ]
> * Extra arguments are now taken as dbname and username
>   (it used to fail if you have more than one extra)
> * Added switch -V (--version) to display client and server version and
>   warn about possible incompatibilities
> * Added \copyright command. Changed welcome message accordingly.
> * Added a few long slash commands equivalent to short ones (e.g.,
>   \list = \l)
> * Rewrote backslash command parser from scratch. Can now quote
>   arguments. (Only doublequotes. Single quotes to come.)
> * Added message output channel as alternative to query output and
>   stderr. Might be useful to funnel output in scripts.
> * SQL command help is now generated directly from the SGML sources at
>   build time.
>   [ Must have perl. Might be a problem on Windows. Perhaps package
>   preparsed version as well. ]
> * \connect now asks for password when appropriate
> * Added switch -U allowing you to specify username on cmd line
> * -? prints out default username, host, port, etc. in help screen
> * PSQLRC env variable can override the name of your startup script
> * PSQL_EDITOR can set your prefered editor for \e and \E (overriding
>   EDITOR and VISUAL)
> * Fixed flat tire on bike ...
> * when \connect fails, it now keeps the previous connection (formerly
>   aborted program)
> * Custom prompts in tcsh style
>   (No, I am not partial to tcsh. In fact, I don't even use it. But
>   using % as escape character rather than \ saves a lot of headaches.)
> * Increased abstraction of input routines.
>   [ Cheers to Matthew D.! ]
> * Started to clean up \copy. Can now specify delimiters and "with
>   oids". Still needs some work though, especially regarding binary and
>   quoting/escaping. I'll probably end up writing a better strtok()
>   before this is all over.
>
> More in a week . . .
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut - peter_e@gmx.net
> http://yi.org/peter-e

phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83