Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Jeremy Drake
Subject Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> David Fetter wrote:
>
> > Greg Sabino Mullane managed to contrive an example where RULEs might
> > conceivably be the least-bad way to do this, that being a machine
> > where no PLs may be installed.
>
> Perhaps this just means we should consider installing plpgsql by
> default.

I have run into this myself, and a patch that I contributed (which made it
in to 8.3) made it possible for a database owner to create trusted
languages from templates in the default configuration.  Which means that
if an admin wants to prevent usage of the language, they can revoke the
right to create it, but db owners still "opt-in" to any languages they
want.