Re: BUG #1656: ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize() - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: BUG #1656: ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize()
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Sergio Lob wrote:

> Bug reference:      1656
> PostgreSQL version: 8.0.1
> -1
> Details:
>
> ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize() returns value -1 for several
> columns of answer set generated by DatabaseMetaData.getTables() method.

ResultSetMetaData.getColumnDisplaySize() returns -1 for any column that
has an unknown size.  Consider the REMARKS column of getTables().  This
data comes from the system's pg_description.description column which is of
type "text".  There is no defined length for this, so we have decided to
return -1.

> Additionally, I don't understand why the data type of column 1 is described
> as "OTHER", as opposed to all the other columns, which are of type "VARCHAR"
> (attained through ResultSetMetaData.getColumnType() method).

TABLE_CAT is generated by an untyped "SELECT NULL", we should probably
cast this to name, or report the currently connected database name here.

Kris Jurka