Re: GNU readline and BSD license - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, but does shipping our code with hooks obligate us?  We don't ship
> readline.
Oh, oops. I didn't know readline wasn't in the postgres tree. Then,
obviously, distribution of .tar.gz does not obligate postgres to anything,
HOWEVER, the problem arises with distribution of binaries (.rpm and
others) which are linked against libreadline _statically_ (basically, we
can't do it). Our RPM distrib is linked dynamically, but I don't know
about other binaries...

From my understanding of GPL, if it is linked dynamically, we are exempt
since it does not constitute a 'derived package'.

-alex