Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 13 Feb 2003, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 12:00, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > > Which means if the the vendor installed Postgresql (say, the
> > > Red Hat Database) you'd expect config files to be in /etc.
> > > If the postgresql is compiled from source by local admin,
> > > you might look somewhere in /usr/local.
> >
> > Then why not ~postgres/etc ??  Or substitute ~postgres with the
> > db admin user you (or the distro) decided on at installation time.
> > Gives a common location no matter who installed it or where it was
> > installed.
>
> Because it doesn't comply with FHS.  All projects should remember that
> they coexist with many others and should do their best to stick to
> common standards.
>
> The default config file location should be set as a parameter to
> ./configure, which should default to /usr/local/etc/postgresql.  Those
> of us who build for distributions will change it to /etc/postgresql.

Seems to me that if FHS allows such a mess, it's reason enough to avoid
compliance.  Either that or those of you who build for distributions are
making an ill advised change.  Simply because the distribution makes the
decision to add PostgreSQL, or some other package, to it's distribution
doesn't make it a requirement to change the location of the config files.

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.