Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8 Dec 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 22:27, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On 8 Dec 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> > > If something is familiar, it feels safe.  We need to make PostgreSQL
> > > familiar.  That's why we need marketing.
> >
> > Then why wasn't mysql in the list?  It's familiar.
>
> To PHBs?

I would argue yes.  Everywhere you turn you see "Powered by MySQL".
If years of working on it isn't getting them the familiarity to overcome
the PHBs then the PHBs are either not considering open source or the
marketing attempts aren't strong or capable enough to penetrate.

Vince.
-- Fast, inexpensive internet service 56k and beyond!  http://www.pop4.net/  http://www.meanstreamradio.com
http://www.unknown-artists.com       Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.