From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On August 19, 2002 11:58 pm, Rod Taylor wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 23:50, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > The simple fix is to drop the money type entirely as it serves few
> > purposes -- but there are some who use it.
>
> As the original creator of the type I probably have the most emotional
> attachment to it but even I am thinking of dropping its use.  I would have
> preferred to fix it (more automatic casts and 64 bit storage as well as the
> fixes in the current thread) but I seem to be alone so it hardly seems worth
> it.  I still think that there is some benefit to being able to do integer
> arithmetic though.  I know that I do a lot of calculations (mostly sums) on
> money and going to numeric is going to be a hit.  No matter how efficient it
> is it can't be as efficient as a cpu register addition.
>
> But maybe I'm wrong and the hit will be negligible.

I used to use the money tag but someone said it was going away in a future
version and to use the numeric type instead.  I was under the impression
that it was going to be history long before now - it seems I was told this
back in 6.3.something.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: vev@michvhf.com    http://www.pop4.net        56K Nationwide Dialup from $16.00/mo
atPop4 Networking     http://www.camping-usa.com      http://www.cloudninegifts.com  http://www.meanstreamradio.com