Re: "SQL" REPLACE SYNTAX - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: "SQL" REPLACE SYNTAX
Date
List pgsql-php
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> You can propose this syntax additon on the pgsql-sql list, which exists
>  to discuss these kinds of issues.  However, I will warn you that the
>  core developers have already rejected the REPLACE syntax once as an
>  unnecessary deviation from the SQL92 standard.
>
> There was a long discussion following that rejection, sometime last
>  summer I think, about how one could use triggers or rules to ape this
>  functionality on an INSERT statement.  See the pgsql-sql list
>  archives.
>
> You can, of course, also write the ANSI committee and propose that
>  REPLACE be added to SQL3.  Good luck.

Has it ever been brought up on hackers?  I remember the create or
replace stuff conversation, but that was regarding functions.  I
can't remember anything about insert or update.  Chris, maybe you
wanna bring it up there?  I'm going to be available only on a limited
basis the next couple of weeks or so or I would.

Vince.