Re: Shared library versions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Shared library versions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > We did not bump the shared library versions before the 7.1 release.
> > Maybe we should do this before 7.1.2 goes out.
>
> I thought I did that long ago for 7.1, or I should have anyway.  I don't
> see the commits either.  Seems we can't do it in a minor release.  Will
> have to wait for 7.2, but since there really wasn't much API change in
> 7.1, I think we are OK.  Not sure if we should update them if there are
> no API changes, or were there?

IMHO, it should only be changed if there are incompatibilities between
releases ... we modify the API, mainly ... anything more then that, and
we're making ppl recompile to pull in libraries that only unlying code has
changed, but not the API ...