Re: pgsql/contrib/ipc_check README ipc_check.pl - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: pgsql/contrib/ipc_check README ipc_check.pl
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
> > Module name:    pgsql
> > Changes by:    scrappy@hub.org    01/02/27 10:37:39
> >
> > Added files:
> >     contrib/ipc_check: README ipc_check.pl
> >
> > Log message:
> >     start of an admin tool for FreeBSD to help configure shared memory for
> >     that machine
> >
> >     I kept the name as generic as possible though, as other OS should have
> >     similar methods, so this can be extended "as appropriate" ...
>
> Isn't this something that should go into the documentation?  AFAICT, the
> program itself doesn't do anything except for a couple of multiplications
> and printing messages.

I'm *hoping* that others, using other OSs, will increase its
functionality ... it was a start, meant to show how 'configuring the OS'
could be simplified ... from discussions over the years, most ppl don't
want to have to perform the calculations themselves or read the docs on
how to do thing (ala createuser createdb) ... this simplifies the process
for those under FreeBSD, and, I imagine, relatively easily extends into
those using Linux, and possible the other OSs ...