Re: Re: URL for current docs - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: Re: URL for current docs
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > I didn't understand the final solution.  So I remove the users-lounge
> > part, and the release number, and get:
> >
> >     http://postgresql.org/docs/admin/kernel-resources.html
> >
> > Thanks.  Works fine.
>
> How about just
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/kernel-resources.html
>
> There's no reason to put the admin guide separately on the web, since it's
> already contained in the integrated docs.

Because /docs is a directory that I don't want docs in.  Yeah, I know,
that doesn't make sense, but it does.  The main idea in getting rid of
docs in /docs was to put as much real estate (so to speak) between the
devel and release docs as possible.  People were confusing the two and
thinking that if it's in the devel docs it was in the release version.

If Bruce has something pointing to docs/admin/kernel-resources and
Marc has something pointing to docs/admin/foo and you have something
pointed to docs/admin/bar, after the next release I don't have to
create a new symlink to each item, just update the main symlinks.

As to everything going into the integrated docs, docs/postgres is there
and you're welcome to use it but I'm not getting into the discussion
of what docsets should or should not be available.  The main index
in the interactive docs tho is the integrated index.

Vince.